Search Good Living

Friday, August 31, 2007

nosh

In a small nook of a converted warehouse, off a parking lot in downtown Geneva, lies Nosh, a modern and cozy spot to eat brunch or a lovely lunch. There's a covered area for outdoor seating, and the menu leaves your mouth watering...here are some highlights:

Nosh's French Toast-challah bread soaked in a vanilla-orange zest infused batter, served with a puddle of lemon creme anglaise sauce

Huntington Beach Turkey Club-sliced roast turkey, bacon, melted cheddar, cucumber, tomato and avocado aioli on ciabatta


Mango BBQ Chicken Flat Bread-chopped chicken and bacon over a mango bbq sauce topped pita with cheddar cheese and shaved red onion

Banana's Foster Pancakes-three pancakes topped with sauteed bananas, candied pecans, dried cherries and caramel sauce

Hot Chocolate French Toast-chocolate-chunk chocolate bread stuffed with marshmallow fluff, served with chocolate ganache, topped with whipped cream and chocolate chips (bonus points if you can fit the word "chocolate" into this item two more times)



With a host of freshly squeezed juices and creative lemonades (black current or mango), Intelligentsia coffee and Mighty Leaf iced tea, there's really no need to eat anywhere else, ever.

Just kidding. The only downer to this place are the prices, pretty much everything on the menu is $8.99 and the portions aren't huge. In their defense, they do offer "tasting" portions of the breakfast items for $4.50 or so, but again, the portions aren't very large so consider it to be a true "taste" size.

My friend and I split the Nosh french toast, Mango Chicken BBQ pizza and each had the mango lemonade. The french toast was utterly delicious, mainly due to the lemon "frosting" that was so brightly tangy and refreshing that I wish they would bottle it. The flatbread pizza was just ok, we both liked the flavor but voted that it was too dry and needed more bbq sauce.




And for dessert....a tasting portion of the hot chocolate french toast. Oh baby. This was sinfully rich and, I can't believe I'm saying this, almost TOO much. Can't recommend it as a breakfast item, but it was a creative dessert. Don't think I'd get it again though.


Overall, a delightful spot that I'll be glad to visit again when I'm in the mood for a special treat. They serve breakfast all day and are open Monday-Thursday 7:30 am-2:30 pm; Friday-Sunday 7:30 am-3:30 pm.
My fellow food critics, Sam and K :)









nosh
211 James Street
Geneva, IL 60134
630.845.1570

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Nosh, too! The gemini (crab cake) benedict is good... but the lemon flavor is really strong and it needs a bit more spice to jazz it up. They should take a lesson from Kitsch'n in Chicago who does a fab crab cake benedct. Now the red-eye benedict (coffee encrusted steak) is excellent, as is the breakfast burrito (but it is $1 extra to add chorizo & avocado, which both are necessary in my opinion and kind of mad they charge but oh well). We have also shared the french toast sampler and it was very good. The pears side dish are okay, but I can easily sautee my own pears with ginger at home. Instead I'd stick with the roasted potatoes. The Costa Rican breakfast is my fave though. The pink beans and cheesy tortillas... yum. The Migas was disappointing though. I had the meat one, and there was not enough textural interest, and all the flavors blended too much. I wanted it to be more interesting. Thats my mini review. :)

Jen said...

Awesome. I want to go back now to try some of what tempted you, thanks for the write up! A Moveable Feast has been our visit of late, every time we've been in Geneva. Love the peanut chinese noodles...