Search Good Living

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Great With Child

Grace sent me this fantastic, thoughtful book by Debra Rienstra, I'd highly recommend it to any woman, but especially so if you are pregnant right now. I am too incoherent to even summarize this beautiful book right now, but wanted to share a quote out of her chapter on "Joying in the Body" that struck me.

She is talking about belonging to Jesus Christ, body and soul, and how even though the idea strikes many people as repulsive, reeking of ownership or control, it's actually filled with freedom:

"If God cares for my body as well as my soul, then I can surrender its pain and failure to the One who made it: like taking a damaged violin back to one who carefully carved and sanded its every curve and plane."

I love this idea, and it would have been a helpful picture to hang on to through the hormonal ups and downs of puberty. Belonging to Him, being cared for by Him, and knowing that He loves me as I am is a huge self image boost, don't you think?

I'll try and remember that the next time I view my huge, white belly in the mirror. :)

No comments: